We have this huge 5′x4′ mirror in our bathroom. It’s so big, I couldn’t take a picture of the whole thing:
Over the years, it’s gotten pretty grody. Some of the edges were starting to rust and it was beginning to look pretty nasty so we replaced it with an identical new one a few weekends ago. Jeff put the old one out in the hallway to be tossed out on the next trash day. As I was leaving for work one morning, I saw it sitting out in the hallway and thought that maybe I could try salvaging it. I felt bad that this huge mirror was going to get thrown out and take up all this space in some land fill! I wrestled it into my car and took it to a glass store nearby and they were able to cut off the rusted parts of the mirror. I also had them cut off the beveled edges all around it. I’ve never been to a glass shop before so I didn’t know how things usually work but they were kind enough to cut it on the spot and they only charged me 10 dollars. Then I went to Home Depot to pick up some supplies:
I bought a piece of plywood cut to the size of the mirror, some crown molding, liquid nails and clamps (total cost about $25) . The liquid nails is made specifically for mirrors:
Side story: Then I asked Jeff to help me carry the mirror out of my car and up the stairs into our house. I’m a pretty petite girl and the mirror length was about my wingspan. And its really heavy and big! But Jeff accidentally cracked off the bottom corner of the mirror on our top step!! Big groan…… so then I had to go BACK to the glass place and spend another $10 to have them cut off the cracked end of the mirror. I also had to re-cut the plywood to the new size at a local woodshop. This set me back about a week. I almost gave up here and chucked the mirror into the dumpster. But I’m stubborn. And not ready to admit defeat. Moral of the story: sometimes asking your husband to help, well, doesn’t really help. But thank you for trying, Jeff!
OK, after I got my newly re-cut, uncracked mirror into the house by myself, I glued the mirror onto the re-cut plywood using the liquid nails:
Then started the process of framing the mirror with the crown molding. First I had to measure and miter the molding pieces at a 45 degree angle. Then I glued the molding onto the mirror:
Clamps help keep the pieces together:
Almost done! I let it dry for about 48 hours before I moved it:
I’m really happy with how it turned out! It’s not the most nicely made mirror and I could’ve probably bought a similar one for cheaper (after the multiple trips to the glass shop and getting the supplies at Home Depot, I ended up spending $45 on this project), but I’m glad I saved it from being thrown out. It was worth the hassle. My original plan was to hang it in our den, but it’s too heavy to hang on our wall, so I found a spot on top of the dresser in the second bedroom. I think it will look nice there!