How to Make a Cake Pop Stand (tutorial)

by ilene on April 13, 2011 · 13 comments

in tutorial, upcycle, wood

I wanted to make a nice sturdy cake pop stand for the mini cupcake pops I made and wrote about yesterday for a bridal shower.  I wanted to  to display the lollipops in a cute way.  Instead of going the typical poke holes in a styrofoam block route, I wanted to make mine a little sturdier and prettier and re-use materials that I already had.   I found a scrap piece of 2×4 pine leftover from the bench I built:

I sanded, primed and then spray painted the wood  in a glossy white:

Using a sharpie, I marked the spots that I wanted to drill holes:

Find a drill bit that is about the same width as the lollipop sticks.  I used a 1/8 drill bit and found that was a good snug fit for the sticks.  I wanted to drill the same depth for each hole, so I used a piece of painter’s tape to mark how deep I was going to drill (about an inch deep):

Drill holes. Best done outdoors:

Ta-da!! All ready to stick in your lollipop sticks!

And if you don’t have a drill or scrap wood lying around, you can always fill glasses/vases with rice or candy to prop up your cake pops, works just as well!

1 postcards and pretties April 13, 2011 at 10:36 am

great idea Ilene!! love the pops too!!

2 Jules Bianchi April 13, 2011 at 2:33 pm

You are SO super talented!! LOVE this blog!

3 ilene April 14, 2011 at 9:09 am

Thanks, Jules! I plan to one day feature a series of details from my wedding and using your pics!

4 lifetasteslikefood April 18, 2011 at 5:29 pm

This is such a great idea!! I’ve made cake truffles before, but have never actually gotten sticks to turn them into cake pops. I will definitely have to give this a try soon! PS Using a power drill is just so fun for some reason to me. This project turned out so great and looks so professional!

5 Jessica@Sewhomegrown April 22, 2011 at 1:19 pm

great idea – and so simple! I think I will get my hubby to do this tomorrow. I am making cake pops for his college graduation party next saturday – thanks!

6 nancy May 5, 2011 at 6:04 am

Great idea! Always need a great way to display these so they don’t tip over! You might want to add some thin pieces of woodwork edging (I know there’s a name for this stuff but it escapes me at 6 am!) to make it a little fancier. Easy enough to either glue together or use nail or screw, fill in the holes, then paint to match (or buy it prepainted). Will feature link to your tutorial on my blogs: http://diyweddingplanning.blogspot.com and http://letthemeatcakeatyourwedding.blogspot.com

7 breeeeeee July 27, 2011 at 1:15 pm

a styrofoam base works really good as well, because you can just shove the cake pops in where ever you like!
most craft stores sell them for pretty cheap.
can’t wait to make some of those cake pops for a wedding shower i’m going to!!

8 Katrina July 30, 2011 at 11:03 pm

How many inches apart are the holes from each from each other?

9 ilene August 1, 2011 at 10:16 am

Hi Katrina! I actually made holes 3″ apart on one side for smaller cake pops and then flipped the stand over and drilled holes 5″ apart on the other side, for bigger pops. It’s more versatile that way!

ilene :)

10 Brandy March 17, 2012 at 7:31 am

Hi! Thank you for sharing. Can you tell me where I can get the tool you used to measure your holes? I have a large wooden circle that I want to drill holes but can’t find a protractor large enough to measure the holes. Thank you again!

11 ilene March 17, 2012 at 3:54 pm

Hi! I actually used a quilting ruler, which you can get at any craft store like Michaels or fabric store like Joanne’s. Hope that helps!