Unwrapped: Twix Candybars (recipe)

by ilene on May 3, 2011 · 6 comments

in baking, recipes, unwrapped

Continuing on the junk food binge, I had to make Twix candybars!  Those are one of my favorite candybars so I had to try to recreate them.  It was pretty self-explanatory process so this tutorial is pretty basic.

First thing I did was bake a block of shortbread for the base of the candybar.  You can use any of your favorite shortbread recipes for the base.  I must have done something wrong when I made my shortbread, because it expanded a little in the oven.   Normal shortbread should not spread when baked.   I must have messed up the measurements but it still tasted good! I just cut off the uneven edges:

Then unwrapped a full bag of caramel candies:

Melt in 1 minute intervals in the microwave, stirring every minute (takes about 3 minutes to melt entirely):

Spread evenly over shortbread base and let cool:

Use a pizza cutter or knife to cut into long rectangles:

Dip in melted chocolate and let cool over a wire rack:

Done!!

This were yummy and disappeared pretty quickly at the baby shower I made these for.  Next time I attempt Twix, I think I will try a crispier base. The shortbread was pretty tasty, but it lacked the crunch that I think  real Twix bars have. It was still yummy tho!

{ 6 comments }

1 Marilyn May 3, 2011 at 9:17 am

Twix bars are my favorite candy bars ever! I love this idea!

2 DENISE May 4, 2011 at 7:03 am

Wow! I am so glad I found you! You are officially one of my new favorite blogs! Amazing projects! I scheduled a feature for this morning at Extreme Personal Measures to direct my readers to you. I cannot wait to see what you do next!!!!

Denise
Extreme Personal Measures

3 Charlotte Knox May 4, 2011 at 8:32 am

My dear father used to love Twix bars so much. I’ll have to give these a try.
BTW, I am visiting from TCB where she featured your blog today. Kim is a great networker.
Oh, and thanks for all of your yummy, informative ideas.
Keep up the good work.

4 Debbie May 4, 2011 at 5:36 pm

Cute! Please come and share it at my link party: http://fabricbowsandmore.blogspot.com/

5 Debbie May 5, 2011 at 6:05 am

WOW…I would have NEVER thought to try to make these! brilliant!

6 hellomomo June 28, 2011 at 3:19 pm

They look really delicious, I will definetely try this recipe! Thanks for sharing! 🙂

Comments on this entry are closed.