Wedding Memory Capsule Christmas Ornament

by ilene on December 16, 2011 · 42 comments

in christmas, holidays, tutorial, wedding

I got this idea from my friend Esther’s awesome blog!   She saved and dried some of the flower arrangements from her wedding and encased them in a glass Christmas ornament.  Genius, I say!!  I didn’t have the the forethought to save and dry the flower arrangements from our wedding, but I did have a bunch of left over freeze dried flower petals from our flower petal toss and thought this would be the perfect way to showcase them:

It’s been almost a year and a half since our wedding, but besides being a little smushed and faded in color, the petals were still in pretty good shape.  (Read about our flower petal toss and where I purchased the freeze dried petals here.) All I had to do was remove the little metal cap from the top of the glass ornament and gently push the petals individually through the top hole.  For the bigger petals, I curled up the petals a little to get them to fit through the opening:

I filled up the ornament about 3/4 full and snapped the cap back on:

I even found some white satin ribbon leftover from our wedding and used it to create a loop at the top of the ornament.  I love how it turned out!!  It’s sentimental and a sweet reminder of our wedding day!

You can create a little time capsule from pretty much any big event from your life!  Or even fill the glass ornament with pretty potpouri!

1 cravesadventure December 16, 2011 at 12:19 pm

What a beautiful way to remember a special day and it will last forever. Thanks for sharing!

2 sarainitaly December 16, 2011 at 3:45 pm

I love this. I am going to do this with my bouquet. It’s just collecting dust… Great idea!!

3 Snob on a Budget December 17, 2011 at 5:21 pm

I wish I dried some of my bouquet! I thought preserving my bouquet was a waste of money, but this is a great idea. I’m putting you on my link love to tomorrow. :-)

4 I'm Feelin' Crafty December 18, 2011 at 2:56 am

Love this! We have a photo ornament, but I was not using all of our ornaments this year and that one got put away… We also have a some sand dollar ornaments from the wedding that we gave as hostess gifts, etc… Those did make it on the tree. But I love this, becuase it is something you made from something you made for your wedding without screaming wedding photo or anything! Beautifully done!

5 whollykao December 19, 2011 at 6:15 pm

Glad you go to make this! Your ornaments look great!

6 Anonymous December 28, 2011 at 10:22 pm

This is such a wonderful idea!! I love reading your blogs.

7 Gayle Broad June 12, 2012 at 3:24 am

What a gorgeous idea

8 Kathy July 9, 2012 at 7:10 pm

Hi! I LOVE this idea! My aunt passed away and I’ve collected a lot if roses from the flower arrangements. I am going to make one for all the nieces, nephews, great nieces and great nephews. Do you have any suggestions for drying the petals? How do I know when they’re dry enough without having them get too dry and crunching when I try to get them in the ornament? I don’t want to screw this one up!

9 Anonymous October 14, 2012 at 6:42 pm

We did this also but petals from both parents. Our mother kept petals from my dad’s flowers and when she also passed we combined them for our ornaments.

10 Kristen August 8, 2012 at 6:12 pm

Thank you for this, I’m doing this with flowers from my grandmother’s funeral. It will a great piece for my tree!

11 Trudy August 27, 2012 at 9:21 pm

Can you put the petals in still fresh, one do they have to be dry?

12 ilene August 30, 2012 at 11:39 pm

I would dry them first, then put them in!

13 Diana September 15, 2012 at 1:28 pm

I made a set of four of these for our tree this year–they are so beautiful!! Thanks for sharing this GREAT idea. :)

14 stephanie November 3, 2012 at 7:40 am

Ilene,
Super cute blog!! I love your enthusiasm! I am definitely going to start to follow you!

Stephanie

15 tessia December 4, 2012 at 10:31 am

I found this on pinterest before I got married and wanted to do this as a collection of our ornaments and I love this idea! Is there a certain store that you can find these ornaments? I looked at wal-mart and hallmark but they don’t look like the same ones. Thanks.

16 ilene December 4, 2012 at 12:58 pm

Hi! I got my clear glass ornaments from Michaels crafts stores. I think most big craft stores like Hobby Lobby and Joann’s Fabrics may carry them. Good luck!!

17 KP February 22, 2013 at 5:28 pm

We want to do this with petals from our grandfathers funeral bouquets, can you tell me where to get the glass ornaments? We would love ones big enough to make sure we don’t break the dried petals too much though. Thanks!

18 Michelle June 4, 2013 at 11:41 am

How do you keep dried petals from breaking/ getting crunched when putting them through the opening. Could you put fresh flowers inside and let them dry with the top of the ornament off?

19 ilene June 4, 2013 at 9:26 pm

Hi Michelle, that is a great idea! Not sure why I didn’t think of that first!

20 Kim July 3, 2013 at 7:41 am

My bouquet is currently in the freezer and has been for 3 months now. Ugh! What should I do at this point? Should I take it out and immediately put the petals into the ornaments? I’m at a loss because I am not crafty AT ALL!

21 Anne July 18, 2013 at 9:15 pm

Kim, I’m sorry to tell you that unless you keep your bouquet in the freezer for the rest of your life you are kind of doomed. Many brides make this mistake (perhaps thinking “freeze-dried” has to do with the freezer from our kitchens. Unfortunately – once you take it out of the freezer and it thaws it will kind of turn to a brown mush! Like in the early Spring we are warned not to plant too early or cover our flowers in case of frost because they will die.

this is what I do for a living is preserve people’s flowers from weddings, funerals etc…and it is the biggest thing I warn people about before getting their flowers to me – Do NOT put them in the freezer.

22 Kim July 5, 2013 at 11:34 am

Also, what size ornament did you use? Does it matter as long as it has a top that opens?

23 ilene July 11, 2013 at 10:25 pm

I don’t think the size matters, I used an oversized ornament but any glass ornament where the top comes off will do!

24 Mel the Crafty Scientist December 10, 2013 at 5:44 pm

LOVE your blog and this project – so creative and fun and personalized! Just wanted to let you know I featured it in my roundup of glass ornament crafts here. Feel free to check it out if you want and hope you like it! : )

-Mel the Crafty Scientist

25 Myrtis July 17, 2014 at 6:56 am

Great information. Lucky me I found your websiote by chance
(stumbleupon). I’ve saved it for later!