The Urge to Serge

by ilene on January 16, 2012 · 10 comments

in sewing

For months, I begged begged and begged Jeff to let me buy a serger (as if I needed another gadget to add to my library of other craft machines). The winning argument that finally caused him to cave in was when I claimed “I will absolutely DIE if I don’t get it!!” (jk, I didn’t really say that but that’s how I felt!) Victorious, I did a bunch of research and I settled on this Brother 1034D 3/4 Lay-In Thread Serger that got great reviews on Amazon. I anxiously waited for it to be delivered and dreamed of all the cool projects I could make with this miracle machine. Imagine the possibilities!! I can sew a whole wardrobe of clothes! When it finally came, I tore open the box, took out the machine and then I saw these complicated threading instructions:

….And then I saw FOUR spools of thread and FOUR corresponding needles:

…. And then I panicked at the instruction books and two DVDs that came with it:

….and promptly stuffed it back into the box:

…And shoved the box at the bottom of all my craft supplies, where I forgot about it:

(blogged about the cramming/shoving/storage of my craft supplies here)

This year, I’m turning a new leaf! I am going to bite the bullet, open up the box and learn how to serge!! I am going to do it! It doesn’t matter how long I spend reading that instruction booklet or watching the DVDs, I am going to serge like a woman on a mission! It’s one of my New Year’s goals! Hopefully, I’ll have a finished project to show you guys soon!!

1 Chow Bella January 16, 2012 at 9:35 am

You are hilarious! I’m totally the same way. One hint of complicated instructions can scare even the most well-intentioned DIYer. But if there is anyone who could figure it out and master it, it’s you!!

2 Christina January 16, 2012 at 9:36 am

This cracked me up because I totally relate. I have a Brothers serger as well, and haven’t even tried to figure it out. It lives at my sister’s house, where she knows exactly how it works and how to use it, so I don’t have to. BTW, she said it was easy. lulz.

3 Jen January 16, 2012 at 10:07 am

You’ve inspired me! I WILL dig out my three-year-old serger upon which I’ve sewn not one stitch, and I WILL learn to use it. I do enjoy knowing I am not the only one on the planet…

4 Lizzy Ford January 16, 2012 at 1:01 pm

Oh goodness how I love my serger!!!! It is a bit confusing at first, and I have to admit it is frustrating threading it, but it is soooo worth it! I got one several years ago and it is so convenient. I use it on all of my hems, and sometimes I don’t even turn the hem up. It makes a nice edging to some casual skirts.
You can do it! Just take your time threading. I know I had to re-read the instructions several times before I memorized how to do it. Make sure you thread it in the correct order. I didn’t once and was frustrated as to why it didn’t work out. Also never pull your fabric through. Let the machine do all the work. You can of course move the fabric once it is through.. You can very gently push it through, but pulling may result in broken needles that fly up and hit you in the eyeball. ohhh my. Don’t be scared now. It only happened to me once, but I have gotten impatient and had the needle bend on me :-/
You will be so happy once you learn to use your serger! Its a time saver and so worth the effort. Good luck!

5 ilene January 17, 2012 at 9:17 pm

Thanks for the tips, Lizzy!! I can’t wait to try it! Hopefully I can report back with some finished projects! -ilene

6 I'm Feelin' Crafty January 17, 2012 at 2:16 am

too funny! I asked for a serger for Christmas, but I didn’t get it. I met this woman the other day who made me feel totally inferior in my sewing becuase I don’t have a serger!! ergh! I didn’t get one (got a letterpress machine thingy instead)… But I have a feeling, I’d do the same thing! Can’t wait to see what you do with it when you do figure it out!

7 ilene January 17, 2012 at 9:15 pm

Wow!! I would LOVE to get a letterpress machine!! That sounds like a lot of fun! Keep me posted on your letterpress adventures! -Ilene

8 Rena January 18, 2012 at 11:25 am

I know all those threads are totally intimidating. I borrowed a serger from my mother in law and it took me a few days to figure it out. It’s really fun to use and easy once you get the hang of it. I’m not sure about the serger that you have, but what was easy for me is to put little stickers with notes on where the thread goes and stuff. Good luck!

9 Phoebe February 2, 2012 at 10:30 pm

I’m looking forward to seeing the projects that you do with this serger! I’ve decided that if I ever got one, it would be this one. I’ve even seen it for only $100 brand new, but I know it would just sit taking up space in my house for years so I haven’t bought one.