Crazy for Chickpeas!

by ilene on March 2, 2012 · 8 comments

in recipes

Jeff went away on a business trip and came home to a wife crazy for chickpeas.  I don’t know what got into me, but I went from being totally grossed out by the thought of them to consuming them by the fistful!  I used to pick chickpeas out of salads and turn my head at hummus, but something changed and now I can’t get enough of them.  I think initially I was so turned off by them because the word “chickpeas” sounded off putting and funny.  Saying it used to make me giggle.  “Garbanzo beans” isn’t much better either.

What got me into my latest obsession was that within days of each other, two of the blogs I read posted recipes for roasted chickpeas.  I never thought to bake them but I discovered that I like them like that.  Roasting the chickpeas changes them from mushy to crunchy and they end up tasting sort of like corn nuts. Yumm!!

From Our Best Bites, I tried their Spicy Roasted Chickpea recipe:

A few days later, my friend Esther posted a similar recipe for curried chickpeas which I had to try:

*chickpeas are placed in the raku dishes I got in Japan last month!

Both recipes were great!   Chickpeas are packed with protein and fiber and low in fat so they are a healthy alternative from my usual junky snacks!

1 cravesadventure March 2, 2012 at 12:13 pm

Have a Great Weekend:) Great Snack Idea too!

2 Keeley @ My Life on a Plate March 2, 2012 at 12:40 pm

I LOVE roasted chickpeas! Thanks for reminding me of their deliciousness.

3 frugalfeeding March 2, 2012 at 1:14 pm

So awesomely pretty. I adore doing this with chickpeas – I really must get round to blogging my version :D, something for this week perhaps…

4 Anastasia March 2, 2012 at 1:22 pm

These look delicious! Gorgeous photos too!

5 whollykao March 2, 2012 at 6:12 pm

Awesome! You should add this to your List of “Ways to Get Men to Eat Their Veggies!”

6 Julz March 12, 2012 at 10:45 pm

Hi Ilene. It’s “Ting”. I totally get your fancy for chickpeas. If you’re even in Alameda, check out Scolari’s. It’s a hole in the wall and mostly just for take out but when I was there for lunch one day they had this chickpeas dish to die for. If I recall it was sautéed chickpeas with garlic, lemon, parsley and maybe something else. It was delish! Their menu changes daily so definitely check them out on Facebook first. Chickpeas. YOM!

7 Julz March 12, 2012 at 10:45 pm