Baby Bapron

by ilene on May 24, 2012 · 11 comments

in baby, sewing

One of my best friends N just had a precious little baby girl recently and found this great baby bapron tutorial on Craftiness is Not Optional and asked that I make some for her. I happily obliged!  It was such a cute idea, I had to try my hand at it! What is a “bapron”?  It’s a bib and apron combined!   It provides more coverage than a typical bib and ties in the back like an apron.  You can download the free pattern and find the complete tutorial on the website.

The pattern is super easy, I was able to sew my first one in less than an hour.  They were so quick to whip up, I decided to make four of them with different variations. The tutorial says to use cotton for the front of the bapron and flannel for the backside.   I made a couple with basic cotton on the front but also experimented with oilcloth and ironing on waterproof vinyl because I figured it’d be nice for the frontside to be waterproof.  (edit: after talking to  N who tested out the baprons for me and after reading one of the comments below, waterproof the bib is NOT a good idea!  It’s better to use absorbent material!) I’m not the best with sewing on binding so I mostly stuck with using 1/2″ binding around the edges, but I tried one version with skinny 1/4″ binding and discovered that I liked it much better and I think its easier to tie, too, when the binding is thinner.

Here are the four baprons with the variations that I made:

Here are the flannel backsides of the baprons, aren’t they so cute?

I was happy that I was able to use fabric that I already had to sew these baprons, they don’t require much fabric to make them, so its a great way to use up leftover fabric.

I also added the custom woven labels that my sister gave me for my birthday on the backside:

I love how the labels are so colorful so they match pretty much anything! And they add a nice professional touch to my hand sewn gifts!

1 natty May 24, 2012 at 6:39 am

Love, thank you!!!!

2 Ashley May 24, 2012 at 6:47 am

Just a suggestion from person experience with the waterproof type bibs, maybe make a pocket or something for the “spills” to be caught in because otherwise they just roll off the bib and on the baby’s clothes or floor. I have found that the more absorbant the better, just my personal prefence maybe.
Awesome tutorial though! And I love that they are reversable!
Thanks!!

3 ilene May 24, 2012 at 8:33 am

thats a great point, ashley! I wish i thought of that!!! thanks for the tip!

4 Ashley May 24, 2012 at 6:47 am

*personal experience*

5 Allison May 24, 2012 at 11:48 pm

These baprons look awesome and the fabric prints are so fun!! Yet again blown away by your amazing sewing talent…

6 Jennifer McCaffrey May 25, 2012 at 11:30 am

They turned out great! I love the little tiger on the front of the yellow one :)

7 Jessica May 27, 2012 at 2:44 pm

Precious! By the way, when I visit your blog I leave it with Save Ferris’ cover of Come On Eileen stuck in my head :)

8 Virginia Fields March 4, 2013 at 7:21 am

Is there just one size pattern for the bapron? I have a grandson who is 18 months and the regular one is getting a bit tight and I am not a pattern creator or adjustor and wonder if there is one that’s just a tad larger. Any suggestions?

9 ilene March 4, 2013 at 9:39 am

Hi virginia! I suggest printing out the pattern a tad larger. You can scale it to 125% or something bigger!

10 Allywendy May 6, 2013 at 7:30 am

Could you please email the pattern to me? Thank you!

11 ilene May 6, 2013 at 7:47 pm

Hi Allywendy, I wish I still had the downloaded pattern (I believe I got it when it was free) but I just searched my whole computer and can’t find it. I must have deleted the pattern. Sorry! You can always purchase it for $6 from the site.