Baby Bapron

by ilene on May 24, 2012 · 14 comments

in baby, sewing

One of my best friends N just had a precious little baby girl recently and found this great baby bapron tutorial on Craftiness is Not Optional and asked that I make some for her. I happily obliged!  It was such a cute idea, I had to try my hand at it! What is a “bapron”?  It’s a bib and apron combined!   It provides more coverage than a typical bib and ties in the back like an apron.  You can download the pattern and find the complete tutorial on the website.

The pattern is super easy, I was able to sew my first one in less than an hour.  They were so quick to whip up, I decided to make four of them with different variations. The tutorial says to use cotton for the front of the bapron and flannel for the backside.   I made a couple with basic cotton on the front but also experimented with oilcloth and ironing on waterproof vinyl because I figured it’d be nice for the frontside to be waterproof.  (edit: after talking to  N who tested out the baprons for me and after reading one of the comments below, waterproof the bib is NOT a good idea!  It’s better to use absorbent material!) I’m not the best with sewing on binding so I mostly stuck with using 1/2″ binding around the edges, but I tried one version with skinny 1/4″ binding and discovered that I liked it much better and I think its easier to tie, too, when the binding is thinner.

Here are the four baprons with the variations that I made:

Here are the flannel backsides of the baprons, aren’t they so cute?

I was happy that I was able to use fabric that I already had to sew these baprons, they don’t require much fabric to make them, so its a great way to use up leftover fabric.

I also added the custom woven labels that my sister gave me for my birthday on the backside:

I love how the labels are so colorful so they match pretty much anything! And they add a nice professional touch to my hand sewn gifts!

1 natty May 24, 2012 at 6:39 am

Love, thank you!!!!

2 Ashley May 24, 2012 at 6:47 am

Just a suggestion from person experience with the waterproof type bibs, maybe make a pocket or something for the “spills” to be caught in because otherwise they just roll off the bib and on the baby’s clothes or floor. I have found that the more absorbant the better, just my personal prefence maybe.
Awesome tutorial though! And I love that they are reversable!
Thanks!!

3 ilene May 24, 2012 at 8:33 am

thats a great point, ashley! I wish i thought of that!!! thanks for the tip!

4 Ashley May 24, 2012 at 6:47 am

*personal experience*

5 Allison May 24, 2012 at 11:48 pm

These baprons look awesome and the fabric prints are so fun!! Yet again blown away by your amazing sewing talent…

6 Jennifer McCaffrey May 25, 2012 at 11:30 am

They turned out great! I love the little tiger on the front of the yellow one :)

7 Jessica May 27, 2012 at 2:44 pm

Precious! By the way, when I visit your blog I leave it with Save Ferris’ cover of Come On Eileen stuck in my head :)

8 Virginia Fields March 4, 2013 at 7:21 am

Is there just one size pattern for the bapron? I have a grandson who is 18 months and the regular one is getting a bit tight and I am not a pattern creator or adjustor and wonder if there is one that’s just a tad larger. Any suggestions?

9 ilene March 4, 2013 at 9:39 am

Hi virginia! I suggest printing out the pattern a tad larger. You can scale it to 125% or something bigger!

10 Allywendy May 6, 2013 at 7:30 am

Could you please email the pattern to me? Thank you!

11 ilene May 6, 2013 at 7:47 pm

Hi Allywendy, I wish I still had the downloaded pattern (I believe I got it when it was free) but I just searched my whole computer and can’t find it. I must have deleted the pattern. Sorry! You can always purchase it for $6 from the site.

12 Gaile Jenkins March 22, 2016 at 11:59 pm

This pattern is no longer a free download, please remove that statement from your link

13 Anonymous March 28, 2016 at 9:07 am

It is very sad that she now charges for a pattern she made from a bib a friend had. Seems odd she has a copyright on that. You can find the patterns in other places though. Also, consider using fold over elastic instead of bias tape. It’s pricier, but if you use coupons at Joann’s it’s about the same. I just made my first with the elastic and will try it on my granddaughter tonight after school.

14 mk March 28, 2016 at 9:57 am