Tiered Ruffle Crib Skirt (A Pottery Barn Kids Knockoff)

by ilene on October 9, 2012 · 19 comments

in baby, pregnancy, sewing, tutorial

I’m 37.5 weeks pregnant now (what! what?! I’m full term! AH!)  and madly working on our baby girl’s nursery.  It’s slowly starting to come together now, hopefully we will get it all done before she arrives!  I’m praying that she doesn’t come early, especially since Jeff is traveling this week and 3,000 miles away in Atlanta, and because there are so many baby projects I want to finish before she makes her big debut.  So much to do, so little time!!  Stay inside my belly, little girl!

One of the bigger projects that I just finished was this white ruffled tiered crib skirt:

I absolutely love how it turned out!!  I was inspired by this Pottery Barn Kids Emerson ruffle crib skirt, but I didn’t want to pay $79 for it:

(photo from Pottery Barn Kids)

$79?!  That’s a lot for a crib skirt!!  So I decided to make it myself!! I bought about 5 yards of white cotton material (about $5/yard) and did lots of cutting, serging, ironing, ruffling, pinning and sewing.  I didn’t take a lot of pics of the process or write a full tutorial because most of the sewing was done late at night.  I’ve been having lots of insomnia lately, which I heard is common late in the third trimester, so sewing has been the perfect remedy.  I did take these pictures of steps along the way:

Some notes about this project:

1. I made this for a standard size crib mattress which is 28″ x 52″.  The base rectangle is 28″x52″ and the 3 side panels are made to those dimensions with the height of skirt that I wanted (15 inches).  I  made the side panels on the shorter side, about 15 inches long, and not floor length because the crib mattress will eventually be lowered when she gets bigger and I don’t want it puddling on the floor.   I only sewed ruffled side panels on three sides of the crib skirt since the crib was going to be pushed against the wall and you wouldn’t see the fourth side.

2.  I made three layers of ruffles for each side panel. Each ruffled piece is 6″ tall and the length is cut to be twice as long as the width of the panel. (For example, for the long panel, each ruffle piece was cut 6″x104″)  If you want it more ruffly, cut your strips even longer.

3. Each ruffle layered about 1″ on top of the ruffle piece beneath it, to hide the top seam.

4.  It really helped having a serger for this project, as it made hemming all the individual layers so much easier.  I wish I also had a ruffler foot and learned how to make a rolled hem with my serger, those would have shaved hours off of this project, too!!

5. Since I didn’t have a ruffler foot, I ruffled each piece the old fashioned way:  sewing long basting stitches along the top edge of the panel and then pulling the thread to create the ruffles.

This project took me about 3 nights to finish.  I’m not going to lie, it was a lot of work!  The ruffling almost killed me!  I’m so happy with the way it turned out though, I think it  ended up looking  just like the Pottern Barn version:

Here it is on the new crib!!

The beautiful white crib is the Pottery Barn Larkin 4-in-1 Crib, a generous gift from my parents for their first grandchild.  The gray fitted crib sheet is from the Harper nursery collection, also from Pottery Barn Kids.  I’m going for a mainly white and gray nursery with some pink accents.  Because white and gray can be a little on the boyish side, I like how the ruffles add a touch of girliness to the decor.

I’m so pleased with the way it turned out!  I love anything with ruffles on it!

Other projects I’ve done with ruffles:

1 Kelley October 9, 2012 at 11:26 am

Just wanted to stop in say your ruffle crib skirt is beautiful. Also, if you are going to have a little girl, you absolutely need to get a ruffler foot, like right now! I was just using mine on the weekend to make swimsuit for my 9-year-old daughter. You’ll get a lot of use out of it, but it’s better value for money if you have it right from the start!

2 ilene October 10, 2012 at 2:24 pm

good idea! I’m tempted to buy one now!!

3 Allison October 10, 2012 at 11:53 pm

Wow, you did a fantastic job on this crib skirt! It looks amazing, Ilene!!

4 Carrie January 9, 2013 at 6:21 am

I was just searching for alternative options for the PB skirt, and found your post. Love it! Thank you for sharing. I had considered making it but got all caught up in the “how to’s” and “what if’s.” I’m totally going to try it now!

5 Naomi March 8, 2013 at 6:18 am

How many yards of fabric did you use all together for the base and sides without the ruffles? Would 2 yards be enough?

6 Sarah August 2, 2013 at 11:09 am

Thanks for this tutorial! This was simple enough for a beginner like me, even though you’re right—it took a LONG time! I just finished mine in a pale green that goes with some chevron crib sheets I found on the cheap at Target. Thanks for helping me have a Pottery Barn-esque room for my little one, even on a college student budget. :)

7 Sarah August 19, 2013 at 1:07 pm

beautiful work. I will be following this for sure! Baby on board… need to think ahead!

8 Jess August 30, 2013 at 5:42 am

Hi Ilene, words can’t express how accomplished i feel right now! My ruffle crib skirt is right now in the wash after the final few stitches!
I stumbled on your blog 2 months ago after seeing the potterybarn original( retailing about $100 Australian dollars) and its been a long slow process, but thanks to your guidance I’ve made it! I’ve only started sewing 2 years ago and Im amazed that I’ve pulled this off.
You’ve a knack at communicating your passion in sewing and i hope to read more of your projects in the near future! God bless!

9 Jamie November 1, 2013 at 12:51 pm

I decided to give this a try. I am pretty good at sewing so I figured I could figure it out. I found a XL twin sheet set on clearance at Target for $5.38 and decided to use that for the fabric since it would be close to enough between the fitted and flat sheet. I made mine 18″ long like the Pottery Barn dimension because I figured I could always safety pin it up later when she gets bigger. I turned out fabulous just like yours! So glad I found your inspiration!

10 Nicole December 29, 2013 at 6:37 pm

Crib skirt is beautiful! Would u be interested in making and selling?

11 ilene January 4, 2014 at 7:50 pm

thank you, nicole! I wish I had time to make more of these crib skirts to sell, but they are really labor intensive! hopefully i explained it well enough so that other people can replicate it on their own!

12 rita clay January 20, 2014 at 12:37 pm

ok I tried couldn’t do it will you make me one?

13 Kathy March 4, 2014 at 8:05 pm

I am making this for my first grandchild arriving in August. I am just finishing a ruffled tree skirt for the new family and am anxious to start this project.

Hint: Since I also do not have a ruffler foot for my machine, I use a zig zag stitch over…. of all things….. dental floss. Draw up the dental floss for ruffles, so much easier than using the long stitches!!!!! Works beautifully!!!!

14 ilene March 4, 2014 at 9:41 pm

Dental floss is a great idea! its strong and won’t break! I will have to try that!

15 Tiffany March 24, 2014 at 5:55 am

I am in love with the pottery barn skirt but can’t justify paying the $79! I just found one by Circo at Target for $25! They have white as well as an ombre pink option

16 swimwear for women plus sizes September 20, 2014 at 9:29 am

Іt’s a shame you don’t have a donate button! I’d definitedly donate to this superb ƅloɡ!
I suppose for now i’ll settle for bookmarking and adding your RSS feedd to my Google account.
I look forwaard to new updates and will share thgis blog with my Fɑcebook
group. Talk soon!