Contoured Diaper Changing Table Pad Cover

by ilene on October 18, 2012 · 12 comments

in baby, sewing, tutorial

Well, I didn’t go into labor yet!  Baby girl is still hanging in there!  I’m at the point where half of me wants her to come out because I’m so uncomfortable and the other half of me is scared of the labor/delivery process and wants her to stay inside forever!  The waiting is the hardest part.  The control freak in me has a hard time not being able to plan things!  Every day I wake up thinking “Today could be THE day!”  I hesitate to make dinner plans and I even have a hard time figuring out how much produce to buy for the week!

These last few days I’ve been keeping myself busy, trying to keep my mind off of the imminent delivery.   Today is my last day of work and I’ve been using my last free evenings to crank out a few more baby projects.  Like this contoured diaper changing table pad cover:

I actually was gifted a beautiful, soft  chamois diaper changing table pad cover in pink from Pottery Barn Kids that I love and plan to use most of the time, but I decided to make a back up one because I’m pretty sure that there will be accidents on it and will need to be washed every once in awhile.  I had a lot of pink minky fabric in my fabric stash and I used this great tutorial to make my own pattern. The homemade version turned out as nice as the Pottery Barn version.  I think the key to sewing your own version is to make it contoured so that it fits the dimensions of the changing table pad instead of being all loose and baggy.

The tutorial has you tracing around your changing table pad to make the pattern:

Then you pin and sew the pieces together and fold the fabric towards the back:

I wanted the cover to be extra snug so I added elastic to the back so that it fits really securely:

I love how the corners came out sharp and nicely fitted:

It looks good on the changing table!

Our changing table is the Catalina Dresser and topper from Pottery Barn Kids.  I have a feeling we will be spending lots of time at this table in the coming years!

Maybe the baby will come today!!!  Who knows?! It’s driving me crazy!!

1 Elana Cameron October 18, 2012 at 4:06 pm

That cover looks great! I had to change the cover pretty regularly at about 4 months. The poops get bigger than those little diapers can hold and there are lots of “leakers” that inevitably require cleaning up the changing pad. If you get another day it might be worth make three more backups!

2 Denise October 20, 2012 at 4:57 pm

Fabulous! We were gifted a similar cover and it was wonderful indeed. As a thought, we also highly valued our flannel “lap pads” (I think they were called). You can buy a crib sized one and cut up at least four to use on top of your lovely soft cover. The baby still gets mostly soft minky on her, but the diaper area has some practical protection, we rarely needed to wash the minky underneath, but could toss a lap pad into the laundry easily.

3 jihea October 22, 2012 at 6:40 pm

i am constantly amazed by how you’re getting so much done during the last countdown!

4 carol December 26, 2012 at 8:55 pm

I can’t exactly figure out how you made the ends for the contur shape, I am having trouble
Carol

5 ilene December 27, 2012 at 8:16 pm

Hi carol, check out this tutorial: http://www.e-tells-tales.com/2011/06/tutorial-contoured-changing-pad-cover.html
it is the tutorial that I used and has a better explanation!

6 Lorraine April 4, 2013 at 10:02 pm

Hello…. This changing pad is exactly what I am looking for…. The tutorial has recently been removed :-(. Do you by any chance have a copy of it that you would be willing to share? I plan to work on it with my daughter- in- law this Saturday. Thanks! I love how yours turned out!!!!!

7 Dianne June 29, 2013 at 1:14 pm

Yes that site has been removed. Did you happen to save those instructions? I usually copy and paste them to a Word page and then save it. I’m hoping you did this!

Dianne

8 ardibradlee October 15, 2013 at 2:38 am

Wow!!! All pictures are really amazing and I have never seen this type of pattern. Generally women like this type of table pad cover.

9 portable changing pad August 21, 2014 at 1:06 am

When someone writes an piece of writing he/she retains
the thought of a user in his/her mind that how a user can be aware of it.
Therefore that’s why this article is amazing.
Thanks!

10 Alesia August 31, 2014 at 7:55 am

I tried to watch your tutorial on contoured changing mat for baby and it ask for password how do I watch this

11 golf watches gps reviews September 18, 2014 at 5:04 am

I know this website gives quality depending posts and additional stuff, is there any other web page
which offers these kinds of things in quality?