Nursing Covers and Pacifier Clips

by ilene on January 29, 2013 · 8 comments

in baby, sewing, tutorial

Hi!!  It’s been awhile!  Sorry I didn’t post anything last week.  I kept meaning to but my colicky baby is keeping my hands full!  (Literally.) I sat down to write this post a dozen times and kept getting interrupted. Hopefully I will get to  press the “publish” button before the end of the night.  If anyone has any tips on how to deal with colic, puh-lease let me know. I have tried everything – changing my diet, gripe water, gas relief drops, food allergy tests….. I’m out of ideas and nearly out of my mind.  My pediatrician says that  most babies grow out of colic around 3 months of age, so I am praying this phase will end soon. Colic is one of those medical mysteries that I just have to ride out and it is no fun.

Before Zoey came into my life and when I had way more free time and my arms were never as sore as they are now, I made these nursing covers:

I’ve made nursing covers before  (see tutorial with helpful tips here) and its one of my favorite things to make for expecting moms.  They make a great baby shower present and you only need half a yard of fabric.  I bought the apple and the damask fabric a couple summers ago at my favorite fabric store in Cambridge, MA when we used to live there and these covers ended up being the perfect project for them!  I’ve made so many nursing covers for friends, it was sort of surreal sewing these for myself finally!!

Hanging in the nursery closet:

A sidenote: If you were breastfed as a child, go thank your mom for that right now.  It is HARD!!  You have no idea how painful it is until you have to do it!

After I made the straps on the nursing covers, I realized that they were a little too long and had to cut them.  Not wanting to waste the fabric, I turned them into pacifier clips!

All I had to do was attach suspender clips to one end and velcro to the other end:

The suspender clips can clip onto the baby’s clothing and the velcro can fasten  around the pacifier handles.

Because I am neurotic and these could potentially wrap around a baby’s neck, make sure not to make them longer than 6″ and never leave a baby unattended with them on!
Submit!!

1 Cathy Keeney January 29, 2013 at 6:49 am

Colicky babies love to have Mom (and Dad and Helpers!) hold them like you have been, but a secret for you is to sit on an exercise ball with your baby in a sling or backpack now that she is older and gently bounce her while you do things where you need to sit like on the computer or eating actually, because you need to sustain your strength and health. Love and Kisses to you all, another Mother and Grandmother of a few colicky ones! They call me Grandma Kiwi. XXOO

2 Sara Calhoun January 29, 2013 at 11:18 am

love the pacifier clips!! Also, I literally just emailed you, and we’ve never dealt with colic, but EVERY time I go see my chiropractor, he mentions that if Nathan is colicy to bring him in for an adjustment. (Sounds scary but for baby chiro they basically just do massage, not crack their necks or anything) :) Like I said, we’ve never done it, but I have a friend who did and it worked wonders for her son!

3 Kim M Bagley January 29, 2013 at 5:00 pm

Hi Ilene. Sorry Zoey is so colicky. It is true that, many times, moms and dads have to wait it out. Ethan wasn’t colicky, per se, but he was fussy and didn’t sleep well. I learned later on that I was dressing him too warmly (didn’t want him to get a chill!) and that some of the fabrics I was dressing him in were rubbing him the wrong way – literally speaking. Eventually, I learned that he has sensory integration issues and tactile defensiveness. Perhaps trying less clothes/wrappings/blankets or checking to make sure there are no tags or rough seams and the inside of fabrics are smooth and soft? Please know, I’m not saying you don’t already do these things, Ilene. Just wracking my brain for some ways you – and Zoey – might be able to get some relief.

Thinking of you and your beautiful girl.

Kim

4 Becks January 29, 2013 at 11:05 pm

I had a colicy baby and he was the WORST. I joke around about how he was a horrible baby… except I’m not joking! :) He literally did not smile once until he was 4 months old. I remember sitting in bed with my husband and our crying baby, and watching videos of babies laughing on youtube, and saying to eachother, “some day our baby will laugh too!”

What made a REALLY big difference for us was the following things: a) sometimes colic is silent reflux (baby heartburn). So if she is especially fussy during or after eating, or she burps a lot, I would get that checked out. Getting that taken care of made a BIG difference for us. b) “Happiest Baby on the Block” was like a MIRACLE. I would seriously send you my DVD and book, because it was SO helpful. It was like an “off” button – we had to make these XL swaddling blankets (pretty easy, just 1 yard of a soft flannel with the edges finished off) for it to work, but once we got him wrapped up, on his side, and doing the baby jiggle, he just. stopped. crying. It was all we did for 6 months solid, but he wasn’t crying :) lastly c) get a lot of support. Colicy babies are the WORST. It takes a lot of the enjoyment out of your baby, and I think I cried just as much as he did, I was so tired and frustrated. Hang in there, it gets better!

5 Becks January 29, 2013 at 11:16 pm

Here’s a link to some of that baby soothing magic too – btw, my son DID outgrow the colic, and he’s a super happy, smiling, thriving 3 year old now :) It gets better!

6 ilene February 1, 2013 at 11:04 pm

Thanks, Becks!! I have the book but this is a great reminder for me to go back to doing the five Ss!!

7 Keeley @ My Life on a Plate January 30, 2013 at 11:06 am

I am breastfeeding my 6 month-old and yup, it’s a commitment. It was a complete disaster in the beginning, but I promise that things will be better… soon! I remember feeling some pain, but the pain just went away around 3 months. Zoey will become a more efficient nurser and you’ll be able to feed her quickly and less frequently very, very soon. I thought the day would never come that my son would just latch on his own, eat quickly and be happy, but now he does!

Those nursing covers are great… if only I knew how to sew!