….and time needs to stop right now!!! My baby girl is growing up way too fast!!! A lump is forming in my throat as I write this as I realize that we only got one month left of calling her our “baby”. I’m already mourning the end of her infancy. To all of you new mothers out there struggling through long days and even longer nights – it really is true, the first year flies by in a blink of an eye and they will become toddlers before you know it. I barely remember the first months, it was all a blur and I wish I treasured every moment . I remember when Zoey was two months old and in the midst of colic. making it to 11 months seemed so far off. But here I am now, planning her first birthday party and amazed that this sweet little baby girl of mine is growing into a child!
My friend and I sewed this pink smocked romper for Zoey during the weekend of my baby shower, well over a year ago! We made this before we had any idea what my baby was going to look like, when we were still brainstorming her name, before we even had a nursery for her. I remember thinking when I pulled out the romper pattern for a 1 year old that it was so big and that I would have to wait a long time before my baby would be able to fit into it. I finally took it out of her closet and put it on her before the weather turns too cold. She fits into it perfectly now!
11 month milestones:
- Now has FOUR teeth! In addition to her two bottom teeth, the two front top teeth have come in
- Knows two baby signs, both pertaining to eating: She first learned to sign “more” (usually given because she wants more snacks) and will sign “all done” (usually combined with throwing her water bottle off her high chair with a flair)
- Plays peek-a-boo!!! She thinks its hilarious! Instead of me doing all the work, she will pull a blanket over her head and then lower it while giggling and shyly looking back at me
- Rejects pureed baby food. Only wants to self feed with finger food. Sad for me because I now have a whole freezer full of homemade organic pureed veggies and fruits stored in ice cube trays.
- LOVES books. Books no longer are just chew toys to her. Her favorites are the Karen Katz flip books. She will bring a book up to me, grunt and plead with me to with her sweet brown eyes to read them to her. Over and over again. If I don’t immediately start flipping through the pages, the grunting turns into loud demanding screeching
- Does this silly thing where she pretends to pick something small and imaginary off the ground and put it in her mouth (usually causing me to panic as I try to frantically fish out the pretend item). She also finds it hilarious to put the pretend object in our mouths
- Dropped her 3rd nap and is down to two naps during the day
- Melts my heart by saying “mama” when she sees me. Its all worth it when I see her face light up
I need to get cracking on planning Zoey’s
wedding, whoops, I mean, birthday party! I’m stressing about caterers, photographers, decor and entertainment- it often feels like I’m planning another wedding and not a child’s first birthday party!! Jeff is cringing inside.
Hope you are all having a great week!!
You might also like:
Hey friends!! Sorry it’s been slow on this blog lately. I’ve been taking it easy this summer, trying to “unplug” and enjoy my time with Zoey and Jeff. Blogging has taken a back burner and my drive and creativity have pretty much left on vacation, too. The past few months have been spent traveling, searching for the best playgrounds in SF, hosting friends and just being all around lazy. Though I haven’t worked on any creative projects (feel free to unsubscribe), it’s been one pretty awesome summer.
But, I have another Zoey update!! This little pumpkin of mine just turned 10 freaking months old!! How did that happen?! How is she just months away from being a toddler? Why is it that starting in July, Halloween decor started popping up everywhere, constantly reminding me that my little baby’s one year old birthday is rapidly approaching?! Where did the time go?!
Little Zozo is growing up so quickly!! Here are some things that she has been up to lately:
I somehow missed posting about Zoey’s 9 month update last month, so I’ll list her 9 month milestones here (mostly for my own records):
- Learned to pull herself up and now loves to stand by herself. She can free stand without pulling up on anything, too, and she’s quite proud of it, shrieking and clapping to make sure everyone is watching her. We are pretty sure she will be an early walker…and an attention seeker.
- Had to lower her crib mattress two notches now that she pulls herself up against the railing
- Got her first tooth (bottom left). We had a bunch of rough nights there.
- Claps!! Learned to “pai pai so” (Chinese for “clapping”) after watching her friend Margot demonstrate at the park
- Learned to drink from a straw and loves drinking water
- Eats all sorts of pureed fruits and vegetables but mostly loves her snackies- mum mums and cereal puffs
- 17lbs (10%) and 27.5 inches long (40%) at her 9 month well baby checkup
- Have had to baby proof now that she crawls and will pull herself up on everything she can get her little dimpled hands on
- Loves loves loves baby swings!!
- Hair is finally beginning to grow in, but still gets mistaken for a boy on a daily basis. We get lots of comments like “Hey, buddy” and “He’s cute”.
At 10 months:
- Waves at everyone who looks her way (and even at people who don’t look her direction). She is super friendly and social, just like her dada
- Finally was able to spent an entire morning at the church nursery all by herself and let mama enjoy a worship service without getting paged, a big deal around here
- Got her second tooth (bottom right). More sleepless nights ensued.
- Loves climbing up (but still hasn’t figured out how to climb down) the stairs at grandma and grandpa’s house
- Flew down again to LA to hang out with her girl friends Rylie, Charlotte and Noelle.
- Learned to dance. Loves to turn on music and bop up and down. Her favorite move is to “twinkle, twinkle” with her hands, which also looks like she is displaying jazz hands.
- Graduated to size 3 diapers
- Learning to take steps with her walker
- “Ching chings” – Learned how to kiss, simultaneously delighting and repulsing recipients with her open mouth offerings. Also can blow kisses #xoxozozo
- Got her first fever and cold :( which she passed on to her mom
- Loves getting in all sorts of mischief: puts her hand in the toilet and swishes it around, goes straight for shoes by the doorway, threw up 3 times trying to eat a blade of grass…. the list goes on…..
- Loves loves LOVES her lovey, a soft Angel Dear dalmatian puppy we named “GoGo”. We have 4 loveys that we scatter around the house and keep in the car.
- Finally starting to become a better napper. She will take naps longer than 20 minutes now!
- Babbles constantly and has become “a shrieker”
- Starting to point, but only with her left hand. Thinking that she may be a southpaw.
We see more glimpses of Zoey’s personality shining through everyday and its been such a joy getting to know our daughter better. We are humored (and alarmed) as we realize that the words we often use to describe her are usually: spirited, spunky, determined, feisty, curious and “possesses an overexuberance for life”. She keeps us on our toes and keeps us laughing everyday! We love this kid!
You might also like:
This little bug is now 8 months old! And on the move!! This past month was a big one developmentally for Zoey as she learned to sit up on her own (we woke up one morning and found her just sitting in her crib with a proud/smug look on her face) and a few days later, she learned to crawl. Now she is unstoppable! The girl is just always on the go! Her favorite things to hunt? Not her toys. She loves our iPhones, plastic water bottles, remote controls and vitamin bottles. The kid has so many new toys but her favorite things to go for are ours. She cracks us up! Time to baby proof our place!
*pictures taken at my friend Melissa’s house
Other notables this past month:
- loves snacks, just like her papa. Has become quite a proficient self-feeder, sometimes double fisting cereal puffs into her mouth. We discovered wagon wheels keep her the most occupied at restaurants and yogurt melts are also up there, too.
- was a rockstar on her first international trip – to Mexico! She showed off her new passport and her new swimsuits at Jeff’s work retreat in Cabo San Lucas
- has become quite the water baby. Giggles and shrieks while in her inflatable floatie at the pool.
- had her first taste of commercial baby food – plum organics puree pouches – while we were in Mexico
- declared her love for mama over dada (we have the video footage to prove it!)
- graduated from being bathed in the sink to being bathed in an infant bathtub
- took an impromptu trip to southern California again to hang out with her newborn cousin Rylie and her grandparents
- celebrated Jeff’s first Father’s Day
I want time to stop NOW!! My baby girl is growing up too fast!! I can’t believe she is sitting and crawling already! It won’t be long before she starts walking! Sometimes I look at Zoey and think “how did you get so big!” She doesn’t seem like that itty-bitty baby I brought home from the hospital. Her first birthday is approaching faster than I would like it to and the thought of that makes me sad. Days are passing so quickly and we are being hurled toward toddlerhood so I’m trying to savior these precious moments I have with her as my sweet infant. She’s growing up way too quickly!
You might also like: